David Thomas has considerable prior experience in medicine having been a Consultant Cardiologist and in medical practice for 15 years prior to being called to the Bar.
David is happy to be involved from a very early stage in the claim and is frequently asked to recommend appropriate experts in complex claims.
David undertakes claims with multiple experts (in a recent case 8 experts on each side) and is able to bring his previous experience and training to the benefit of the client and solicitor both in when advising and in conference.
David undertakes claims in a wide range of areas of medical practice and over the past year has been involved in;
- neurosurgery – failure to recognise blocked shunt resulting in loss of vision and the need for 24 hour care – multimillion pound settlement
- Obstetrics – regularly instructed on cases of neonatal injury or death
- Gynaecology – failed or negligently performed surgery and failed diagnosis of cancer
- Orthopaedics – failure in the management of post-operative wound infection resulting in amputation of limbs
- Eye surgery – inappropriate treatment and excessive use of laser
- Cardiology -negligent management of myocardial, failure to diagnose myocardial infarction, pacemaker implantation
David also regularly receives instructions on cases involving issues of consent